The Frigid Rigid Solar Refrigerator / Freezer is the only portable solar refrigerator/freezer on the market that is engineered to be in the outdoors. In fact, Frigid Rigid 115 AC refrigerator / freezers have been serving the marine saltwater market for over 25 years. Now that speaks volumes about reliability, dependability and ruggedness.
Frigid Rigid chests are built to withstand years of rugged outdoor use. These Frigid Rigid Solar Refrigerator/Freezers could be used in natural disasters, on farms, in remote campsites, mobile medical clinics and hunting cabins just to name a few.
Solar Refrigerator/Freezer Specifications:
- Available online in white only. For custom colors and custom designs please call 1-800-643-1988.
- Refrigerators run on one 55W panel
- Freezers run on two 55W panels
- Internal battery & charger
- Amp Meter
- Rugged Fiberglass exterior/interior
- Auxiliary 115V power plug in
- Illuminated on/off switch
- Digital thermostat
|Voltage: 10 – 31 VDC|
|Average Energy Use:||Capacity:|
207 Watts/day @ 12V – 90F
17 Amps/day @ 12V – 90F
3.5 cubic feet
22H x 21W x 36L
475 Watts/day @ 12V – 90F
40 Amps/day @ 12V – 90F
5.1 cubic feet
22H x 21W x 48L
How long has Frigid Rigid been around?
Frigid Rigid was established in 1980 and has been in continuous operation since that time. Since its inception the company has produced very highly efficient fiberglass ice chests, coolers, freezers and refrigerators. These products were designed for outdoor markets and other harsh environments. The company has an outstanding reputation for very high quality, durable and efficient products.
What is a photovoltaic solar panel?
Conventional solar panels directly convert sunlight into energy using the principles of photovoltaic effect (Photo like light….Voltaic like electricity). The photovoltaic effect takes advantage of the properties of semiconductor materials, with silicon being the primary material used in photovoltaic solar cells. When photons (light) strike the solar cell, electrons in the semiconductor material are shaken loose, allowing them to flow as electricity. This electricity is direct current (DC) that can be used to charge a battery as is the case with the Frigid Rigid refrigerator/freezer.
How does the Frigid Rigid Solar Refrigerator/Freezer work in the solar mode?
Solar panel is hooked up to a controller that controls the amount of power that is sent to the battery. The controller monitors the charge of the battery and feeds the electricity to the battery until it is fully charged. The battery runs the 12 volt refrigeration components which cool the inside of the box to the desired temperature.
What are the major components in the Frigid Rigid solar system?
- Solar Panel: The 55 watt solar panel collects the sunlight and converts the sunlight to 12 volt DC electrical power.
- Solar Panel Controller: This controller manages the amount of electricity coming from the solar panel so that the battery can be properly charged. It monitors the charge of the battery and when the battery is fully charged the controller will stop electrical current from the solar panel.
- Battery: Energy demand does not always coincide with energy production. The battery stores electrical energy when it is produced by the solar panel and supplies electricity to the compressor when it is needed. In other words, you charge the battery with the sun during the day and use the energy from the batteries during the night or overcast periods.
- Battery Charger: The refrigerator/freezer has a battery charger that can be used to charge the battery. The battery charger can also operate the unit when 120 Volt AC current is available.
What are the major refrigeration components in the Frigid Rigid Solar Refrigerator/Freezer?
- Compressor: This is the main pumping system that circulates the refrigerant throughout the system that cools the inside of the box.
- Condenser: Cools the refrigerant so it can re-enter the system to continue the cooling process. Our condensers are coated with an epoxy coating so they can operate in harsh environments such as salt air. A fan is attached to the condenser to assure proper air flow for the cooling cycle.
- Evaporator: This is the coil that the refrigerant travels through and actually cools the inside of the box. The Frigid Rigid evaporator system is patented. Because of our patented system the inner walls are smooth. This is possible because the evaporator coils are laminated into the wall. A continuous length of copper tubing is wrapped around the interior wall and bonded with a thermally conductive polymer. Heat is carried away through the wall resulting in an even temperature throughout.
- Thermostat: The thermostat is a wide ranging digital thermostat that can be programmed to operate in either the refrigeration or freezing mode.
What is the material used to construct the Frigid Rigid box?
The outside and inside of the box is made of reinforced fiberglass with a gel-coat finish. The inside wall of the box is filled with polyurethane foam insulation making the insulation properties excellent. The fiberglass is waterproof and makes this unit excellent for outdoor use. We have been using this type of construction for over 25 years and found that it is far superior to metal in that it does not corrode in damp environments and it is much stronger.
Can the Frigid Rigid Solar Refrigerators/Freezers operate in any other mode other than with a solar panel?
Flexibility is designed into the Frigid Rigid refrigerator/freezer. It is designed to operate off a solar panel which is supplied with the standard unit. In addition, it can also run on a standard 120 AC connection using and extension cord. Auxiliary batteries can also be connected to the unit which would supplement the internal battery. Any other source of 120 V AC or 12 V DC, such as a wind turbine or generator can be used to power this unit.
What are the temperature settings of the Frigid Rigid Solar Refrigerator/Freezer?
The factory setting for the refrigeration mode is 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit. The freezing mode the settings are set at 10-20 Fahrenheit. These settings can be easily changed by simply reprogramming the digital thermostat.
How long will the Frigid Rigid Solar Refrigerator/Freezer operate using the solar panel?
The solar panels are sized to operate the unit in the refrigeration mode or in the freezing mode indefinitely in most climatic conditions. The refrigeration mode normally requires one 55 watt solar panel. Because the freezer mode uses more electricity, two 55 watt solar panels are normally required. The length and strength of sunlight can vary depending on the time of the year and your location. You can determine the average amount of sunlight available in your area by referring to the government information that is available at http://rrede.nrel.gov.
How long will the Frigid Rigid Solar Refrigerator/Freezer run using only the internal battery?
The answer to this question depends on many variables such as the external temperature, the thermostat setting, the amount of contents in the box and the number of times the lid is opened. In our tests with an ambient temperature of 91-93 degrees Fahrenheit in the day time and dropping to the mid 80's at night, we received the following results with the standard 55 amp internal stock battery. In the freezing mode the unit ran approximately 30 hours and in the refrigeration mode it ran for 3 days. Several variables can affect these results, such as the temperature setting in the box, the ambient temperature, amount of product stored in the box and the starting temperature inside the unit… etc.
What is the current draw for the Frigid Rigid Solar Refrigerator/Freezer?
Again, like in the previous question, several factors can affect the current draw. In our tests in the refrigeration mode the electrical draw in the refrigeration mode was 0.75 amps and in the freezing mode it was 2.0 amps. Your results can vary depending on several variables.
Is the Frigid Rigid Solar Refrigerator/Freezer portable?
Yes. The Frigid Rigid refrigerator/freezer is designed to be portable. Reinforced handles are installed on each side of the cooler to facilitate lifting the unit. Because of the weight of these units (3.5 cu. ft unit =140 pounds, 5.1 cu. ft. unit = 160 pounds) two people will normally be required to transport the unit. All of the refrigeration components are installed in a hidden compartment inside the box. The solar panel plugs into the side of the unit so it can be unplugged easily when transporting the refrigerator/freezer. Because the refrigeration equipment is installed in a hidden compartment there is little chance of damage with normal care. Due to the units reinforced fiberglass construction and stainless steel hardware the unit is not only portable, but it is also extremely rugged.
How can I get more information on the Frigid Rigid Solar Refrigerator/Freezer?